3.03.2014

Hodge Podge

Hello world.  It's about time for a new blog post! Here are some random snippets for you.....

1) I went to Charlotte for a weekend in January and had so much fun! The trip included....

 Mani/pedis at Polished, dinner at Bad Daddy's with these hotties, and a movie...
 Quality time with Rio the Great Dane & a lovely stay at Leila & Bryan's GORGEOUS house
 Brunch at Terrace Cafe, which included RED VELVET WAFFLES
 And this bangin' bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit
Time to catch up with my long lost high school BFFs
And finally....my first trip to Ikea!! 

2) Baby Braelyn is here! My good friend from high school, Tara, is my first close friend to have a baby and I AM SO EXCITED!! I even went to visit her in the hospital the day after she was born.  She has the most incredibly blonde hair!



3) We got SNOW! In fact, we got quite a lot of it on a few different occasions and missed many days of school.  It was super fun to have some surprise snow days where I could just chill at home/get some things done.  And the best news is that we can make up the days while still enjoying a full spring break! Woo hoo! (Although....as I type this, I'm wondering if spring break might get a little shorter.  We had a 3 hour early release today due to ice, and it's still coming down pretty hard.  I have a feeling the roads will be really bad tomorrow. My birthday is the first day of spring break, so I'm reallllly hoping we don't have school that day!)

Sorry for the random trash can picture, but you can really see how deep the snow was in February! 

4) For Valentine's Day this year, I finally made these adorable heart-shaped crayons for my students.  They were super easy to make and a sweet way to say "I love you!" to my babies.


For the past few years, I've had my students sort crayon bits by color at the end of the year.  Sometimes I have them peel the paper off, too! Keeps them busy for hours! (This is one of the assigned "jobs" on the last day of school.  Some kids sort books.  Others scrub tables.  And then there are the crayon sorters. :))  I have bags and bags of random leftover crayons and I've always wanted to make these.  The week of Valentine's Day, we got snowed in for daysssss so I had time to try out this project!

I read a few tutorials from Pinterest and here's what I ended up doing:
- Chop & peel paper off crayons.  (Most were already peeled, but for the rest, I used a sharp knife/cutting board & made one long slice all the way down the side of the crayon.  Worked like a charm! You could use a box cutter too.)
- Spray heart-shaped pan with cooking spray.
- Mix colors & fill the pan! They definitely melt down so don't be afraid to fill each heart to the top.  I tried to put a few dark colors & light colors in each heart but obviously each one was different.  Keep in mind that the colors you put in first ("on the bottom") will actually be the top of the hearts after you flip the pan over.  Next time, I think I'd like to do some with white/light pink/red/purple like these.
- Melt in oven at 230 degrees for 10-15 minutes.  Around 10 minutes, I turned on the oven light & peeked in pretty often.
- They will be completely melted and in LIQUID FORM when finished.  Be careful!
- One tutorial said to place the pan outside in the snow to cool, and what do ya know?? I happened to have lots of snow outside! They cooled/hardened really fast.
- Turn the pan upside down and they should fall out easily!!
- Since I knew the kids would immediately destroy any cute packaging (and since I was snowed in), I just placed each crayon in a snack sized Ziploc bag with a cute tag attached.  (Tags found HERE!)

5) My in laws adopted the cutest puppy and I can't get enough of her.  We spent a few hours at their house this weekend just playing with her, cuddling her, and watching her chew on toys.  :) Her name was originally Maggie, and then changed to Mocha, and now it's Red! They think she's a doberman/lab mix, but aren't 100% sure yet.  She is really sweet and can also be really playful and silly.  I'm scheduled to "dog sit" in about a month and can't wait to have her all to myself!



6) I made these no bake peanut butter energy bites last night and they are delicious!! So easy to make! I needed a healthier substitute for my nightly dessert, and these will be perfect.  It's seriously like you're eating cookie dough!


I sort of made my own recipe based on Katie's recipe and another from Betsy Life found on Pinterest.

I used:
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup peanut butter (I use Natural Peter Pan Honey Roast Creamy - the best EVER)
1/3 cup honey
1/2 cup ground flaxseed (Got mine at Harris Teeter in the baking aisle - Bob's Red Mill brand)
2T sunflower seeds
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Try them! You won't be sorry!


1 comment:

  1. Ahhh cute babies and puppies all in one post! My baby/puppy fever meter is going mad right now! So did your crayons come out of that pan without a fight?? I've always just assumed that craft would be too messy, but it looks like yours turned out cute

    ReplyDelete